There is a wide variety of normal when you are talking about periods. There is a fallacy that if you don't get a period every 28 days it is 'not normal' - this is false. Only 15% of women get a period every 28 days.
- Normal length of time between cycles can range from 21 to 40 days.
- Normal duration of menses can be between 3 and 8 days.
- Normal onset of menses (menarche) is age 9-17.
- Average age of menopause in the US (no period for a year) is 51-52.
- Most important is what is normal for you- if you see a dramatic change in the interval between periods, duration or flow you should alert your doctor right away.
MyMonthlyCycles Cycle Tools: Cycle Length Checker - View if you've tracked cycles less than 21 days or more than 40 days, and when. Period Length Checker - See if and when you've had periods shorter than 3 days or longer than 8.